Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July 23rd / Our Engagement Story

I left Lake Powell on Saturday morning and was so excited to get back to Provo! I made super good time driving and got back in just over 5 hours :) I had been talking to Scott about whether I should go straight to his apartment or to mine first and then compromised by making a quick trip home to freshen up a bit and then he would come over. I was so excited to see him that I didn't want to waste any time apart!

He came and picked me up not much later and we got In-N-Out together. I asked him what he wanted to do that night and Scott said he was sorry that he didn't make any fun plans but suggested watching a movie. I didn't care what we did, I was just happy to be back with him! So we went back to my apartment and watched the classic - Napoleon Dynamite! It was hilarious, as always.

When it was dark Scott asked me if I wanted to go over to his apartment to pick up the bag his grandma made for me and the friendship bracelet that he had made for me. I excitedly agreed and so we drove off towards his apartment... but then he did not turn into his complex. I was confused and asked him if we were going to his apartment and he told me that we were going to make a detour first. I had a few suspicions at this point, but I wasn't sure...

So we drove over to Kiwanis Park and saw tons of people lighting little fireworks and playing frisbee. Scott told me that he found something that he wanted to show me so we parked the car and made our way to the middle of the field. As we stood there though, a group of people came right next to us to set up some large aerial fireworks and so we wandered off to find another spot by ourselves.

Scott was holding a bag that I couldn't tell what was inside and he pulled out his phone. He started playing a song from his phone which I immediately recognized as I See the Light from my favorite movie Tangled! He had re-recorded it himself and changed the words- it is the most amazing thing ever! As the song was playing he pulled something out of the bag and after opening it up I realized it was a floating lantern!! I got SUPER excited! I had told Scott before how I really wanted to see a real floating lantern and he had found one for me!

We both had to work hard to get it floating, but we eventually figured it out! [Cause what's gonna work? TEAMWORK!] <-- haha I even said that out loud that night :) Once it was floating in the air Scott told me to make a wish and to close my eyes. When he told me that I could open my eyes he was kneeling down in front of me and he asked me to marry him! I said YES and then gave him a huge hug and a few kisses. He then pulled out the ring and placed it on my finger and it felt so surreal! I had just driven back from Lake Powell a few hours earlier and now I was engaged!!!

We then sent off another floating lantern that Scott had and as we watched the second one float away people all around us started setting off their huge fireworks. It was absolute perfect timing! I didn't know whether to look at the lantern, Scott, the fireworks, or my ring! It was all so incredible! :D The rest of the night was spend in a daze of pure happiness as Scott and I walked around the park and then began to share the wonderful news with friends and family.


So now I am the luckiest and happiest girl in the world - and that happiness will somehow increase when I marry Scott Whitlock on December 17th in the Los Angeles Temple!!!

3 comments:

Our Family said...

We are so happy for you!!! You make the perfect couple! Congratulations on your wonderful news!

Wade said...

Congratulations,How fun for you both. I hope I get invited to your festivities.

Unknown said...

So so happy for you!! This made me tear up!