Thursday, July 10, 2008

It wasn't a waste of 4 years!

Sunday morning I was awoken at 8 am by my phone ringing. The ringtone was my friend Gerald speaking Mandarin and telling me to pick up the phone. I was tired as I had previously pressed snooze on my alarm and very confused as to why he was calling me at this time on Sunday.

The first thing he says was this: "Holly? You got the IB Diploma!" Even if I wasn't half asleep I would have been shocked and in disbelief. I immediately woke up and got on the computer to check my IB test scores that were available for us to check for the first time on that day, July 6. He wasn't lying, I was one of only 6 in my entire IB graduating class to achieve the necessary requirements of test scores and sub-totals to qualify for the IB diploma. Needless to say- I was SO EXCITED! :D

Its really great because now I know that my 4 years of had work and procrastination- i mean dedication ;) - were not all for nothing. It actually made a difference and paid off :)

For those of you who do not have a clue what I'm talking about- IB is the International Baccalaureate Program that is offered in only 17 high schools in California. It is an international prograom, [hence the I in IB] so there are kids all over the world who participate in it. It is similar to the Advanced Placement program, but the easiest way of recognizing the difference is that AP is for a specialization in a subject or two of the students choice, while IB is a full schedule of rigorous courses that challenge the student and potentially provide college credit. There are also Creativity, Action, and Service [CAS] hours that must be completed by the students as well as a Theory of Knowledge [ToK] class where the student writes a 4000 word essay.

I took IB tests for my IB Math Methods, IB Psychology, IB Physics, IB History of the Americas, IB English, and IB Spanish classes. It was a tough program with lots of work, reports, and essays, but it paid off and im so excited! :D

5 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Congrats HoMo! :)

Once again showing the rest of the family up. Thanks a lot. We are all now dumber for knowing you. :)

ha ha...I'm really proud of you though. Does this mean you are a Sophomore now or something cool like that?

Holly Mo said...

Haha, thanks :) I won't have enough to be a sophomore, but I will get about 9 credits based on my test results :D

onwey said...

Wow, awesome! What more can I say.

Wade said...

Congratulations Holly. You is very smart. Probly smartist in hour family. Have fun at Lake Powell. Give the Murdocks a big HI from Ol' HUGH HEAD!

Mindy said...

I always knew you were smart and now you have some "proof"! Way to go Holly!! And thanks for coming to stay with us. We always love hangin' out with you. Gracie asks when you are coming back! You'll have to come back after Powell and share your photos and stories. I'm hoping next year Gracie will get to come too (as well as Wade and I)!