Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 1 - CHECK!

I can hardly believe that I have already been in the schools for a whole week already. I SURVIVED! :)

I love working in an actual classroom with second graders. I don't always love those second graders... but I love the experience I am getting and how much I am learning as I get to actually put my knowledge into practice. Practicum = Practice. And I am starting to really understand that.

I observed a lot for the first few days, taking notes of how my mentor teacher runs the class and the routine for the students each day. Then on Tuesday I had my first formal observation. I taught a little Guided Reading group about Expression as they read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" and it went really well. I got a bit nervous right beforehand because its intimidating to have 2 amazing and experienced women watching my every move and listening to my every word. They were so sweet and supportive though as we discussed the lesson afterward and they gave me some awesome compliments and suggestions.

The end of the week was a bit adventurous as my teacher was out of town at a conference and I was left in the class with a substitute. I felt confident being able to take up a bit more responsibility and helping the sub understand how certain things go in the class. But then on Friday the substitute had to leave at 1:45 and I was left with the class all by myself until the end of the day at 3:15. That was insane. The class is normally very talkative and there are a few problem students who require more patience and supervision, so I was VERY grateful when the bell finally rang and the weekend arrived!!

Now this week I will be teaching more whole-class lessons and then I will have my second formal observation on Wednesday teaching a Whole-Class Direct Instruction Lesson. I am nervous to see how the students will be, but I'm excited to see how I do.

But my mentor teacher is going to be gone again Tuesday-Thursday for knee surgery... I would appreciate any prayers on my behalf that the students will cooperate and my lesson will go smoothly!

Here we go....!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Holly, I LOVE your blog! It's almost as adorable as you and I am definitely following :) Having taught kids in China and now teaching the CTR 5 kids at church...I know kinda how this feels, but the thought of being an ACTUAL teacher for long amounts of time is absolutely terrifying to me! I'll bet you're doing so awesome though!! what a great experience to finally be applying your education, ya know? ;) Also, thanks for your cute comment. I'm thinkin' you know how I feel ;) How much longer does Scott have??

Wade said...

Those kids are so lucky to have you in their class. Are you going to do so well. We will add you to our prayer list this week. Remember to have fun!