Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago

My mom and I had planned to go for a walk around a park before my school started at 9:30, but in the morning she called me on her way over and told me that she was pretty upset and we wouldn't be going for our walk that day. She was upset because someone had flown some planes into some towers in New York.

I had no idea what that meant. I was only 11 years old. I had never heard of the Twin Towers before, or of a Terrorist Attack. We watched the news in the living room of my dad's house for a while and then I had to go to school, but at school we had the news on the tv in the classroom also. I still didn't really know what everything meant or what was going on, but I remember my 6th grade teacher having us write down a journal entry about that day. She said that someday we would want to remember our experiences that day, so maybe that is why I remember it the way I do even though I was only 11.

I remember that everyone was really scared for a while, waiting for another attack. And everyone bought US flags to hang up, especially the ones that you place on your car windows. Those were everywhere.

I don't remember when I really understood what happened on September 11, 2001. Maybe I still don't fully understand it. But now I am proud of those who willingly went into those burning towers to help those in need.  I am grateful for those who serve this country to keep us safe. I am now 21 years old and I will always remember September 11th.

2 comments:

Hizzeather said...

I was in Ukraine. I was in the city of Kharkov and a member told us that the US was under attack and that 12 planes had been crashing into buildings in New York. It was surreal and since we had no tv or internet we had to wait for the next day, P-day, to get the real story. We were all very relieved to hear from our families that day, and I remember looking at the images on the internet in shock. I didn't return for over a year after that, so I missed the whole country coming together in the aftermath. I'll never really understand what it was like.

Wade said...

An ugly day marked by hatred and then the real heroes stepped up to help.
God Bless the USA!