Thursday, August 5, 2010

My number 1 Hobby

Summer 2010 has been dominated by reading for me. DOMINATED. I mean I have had a great time wakeboarding, hiking, camping at the beach, watching fireworks, playing with the kids, and all that, but lets just get things straight- those are all things that happened here and there between books [or possibly just between chapters].

I have read 33 books as of tonight. THIRTY-THREE! And we are talking chapter books, not just little things.

Its been awesome! I love to read but I had lost the time/motivation to read for a while. This summer I gave myself a kick-start by making the rule that I could not re-read a book, which is what I usually tend to find myself doing (Harry Potter Series- 2-4 times depending on the book; Twilight Series- 3 times; Anne of Green Gables Series- 2-3 times... etc). No more of that for me.

I took a Children's Literature class last semester and it opened my eyes to the wonderful books that are filled with fantasy, clean fun, and adventure. I have frequented the Children/Teen section of the library this summer and have discovered some realllly good books. They aren't childish or too juvenile as some might think. I am 20 and I find them very entertaining- but maybe that just means I'm immature? Either way, I'm enjoying it and that is what counts.

I love how I get so absorbed in the characters and the stories as I am submerged in these new worlds and experiences. Sometimes I get a little too attached as I can't seem to accept when a book is over and I want more more more. Thats when I pick up another and start the whole process over again :)

Here are some of my favorites from this summer:
-Hunger Games Series
-Fablehaven Series
-Percy Jackson Series
-Uglies Series
-The Book Thief
-The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner is the one I just finished tonight. It is the first book in a trilogy, but the next book doesn't come out until October! I am realllly looking forward to that! And I am also realllly looking forward to the finale of the Hunger Games Series which comes out on the 24th of this month!! Yesss! I'm glad that I will be able to read that one before the semester starts so that I don't have to feel guilty about reading that one but not my textbooks... :)

Anywho.... I love books. You should read. You should read some of those books on my list. And feel free to provide me with any suggestions of your favorite books. There's always Thanksgiving and Christmas break to read once Summer ends ;)



Oh, and about all those other adventures of the Summer... I will post about them eventually.

2 comments:

Wade said...

I see you are keeping your time filled between lunches with your FAVORITE uncle. WE hope to see you soon.

Naomi and Family said...

I would love to read the Maze Runner book! There is something so special about reading and the worlds you get to enjoy for awhile. TOTALLY better than t.v.!