Sunday, March 4, 2012

March March March

Time sure is Marching on quickly! How am I only a month away from the end of my student teaching already?!

Last weekend the dreaded Teacher Work Sample was due. Oh Man that took waaay more time than I thought it would - and now that it is finally turned in I still just have a little bit of worry in the back of my mind whether or not I will pass... Basically the Teacher Work Sample is my capstone project before I can graduate that basically tells the McKay School of Education that I am capable of being a teacher and effectively instructing students as well as assessing, measuring, etc. It was huge. Cross your fingers for me, ok? :)

The day that I turned in my TWS was the day I started at a new elementary school also. I am sad to no longer be working at Sharon Elementary with the amazing 6th grade team. I learned a LOT there and had some really neat experiences. I am now at a school in Lehi where I am working with 1st graders. I went from 6th grade to 6 years old! BIG difference! They are so cute though and so eager to learn, it is great. I have a lot of adjusting to do, but I am excited to spend more time in the lower grades and learn as much as I can from my new mentor teacher.

The first week in 1st grade was interesting, but also super fun - because Friday was Dr. Seuss' birthday and that is a holiday in the younger grades! We had a read-a-thon, parents come in to read, fun activities like drawing what you would do on a snowy day instead of getting into trouble with The Cat in the Hat when he comes back, throwing Wockets into pockets, Hop on Pop Hopscotch, Thing 1 and Thing 2 patterns, and even some green cupcakes and green milk to celebrate. I also got to make my own Cat in the Hat hat along with all the kids and we had fun wearing them all day.

First graders are so young in their schooling, so its a big adjustment for me, but I think I am really going to enjoy my time working with them :) I only will be with this class until April 4th [exactly one month from now] and then I will be all ready to graduate! Crazy!! AND- tomorrow is Scott's birthday! This is just a great time of the year!

1 comment:

Naomi and Family said...

You looked so cute in the cat in the hat hat! You will pass! I just know it! :) Love you guys! Miss you!