Sunday, October 26, 2008

snow and screams

SNOW:
A couple weeks ago we had our Homecoming here at BYU. There were many dances and activities throughout the week, but the main thing that I was a part of was RHA's float construction and the Saturday morning Homecoming Parade. The theme for the overall Homecoming was "Go the Distance" so our float's theme was "One [back]yard at a time" RHA's float committe came up with a great idea to make it like a backyard BBQ watching the game so we had a little grill under a canope actually grilling hot-dogs, a couch and a large screen TV "watching the game" with live players standing in the screen, a tree complete with a tire swing, and a bunch of us walking around with posters and playing catch. It was a lot of work to put it together, a lot of fun to be on suring the parade, and then it was torn down so fast. It always works like that doesn't it? hours to put together, and then all gone in a matter of minutes... but it was worth it because we actually got the BYU Bookstore Spirit Award for our float, so that was exciting! :)

The absolute best part though was the weather. We had to finish all the last touches on the float at 7 am before the parade and while we were getting all set up it SNOWED! We were very cold, despite our many layers, but I loved it! I was so happy and enjoying it- I had to keep explaining to people that I am from Southern California and that this is Amazing and new to me :D It didn't keep up all day, and despite the COLD weather none of it really stuck, but I enjoyed it all I could.

Under Construction

MUCH appreciated Hot Chocolate for all the parade people before it started

The glorious snow clouds

Kelsey [Heritage President] and me freezing and waiting

The first section of the float

The Back Section

Getting close and trying to stay warm

Tyson, Kelsey, and me walking behind the float in the parade

The Homecoming game was pretty good too. I had fun with a group of my roommates and a few friends Andrew and Aaron. It was SO cold at the game, but we beat New Mexico, so it was great!

Andrew, me, and Aaron

Katrina's friend Kellie, Katrina, and Madeline


SCREAMS:
Last Monday I got a call from my friend Kelsey from RHA [as seen in the pictures above] to go to a haunted house in American Fork. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I went with her and a few other cars full of some of her friends. We had coupons to get a combo pass to get into the Haunted Forest and the Psycho Manor, so we went through both of those and OH MY GOSH did I get scared. I didn't know anyone except Kelsey, but oh boy did I get close and make quick friends! I sat next to Lauren in the car and we were "arm buddies" as we went through the Psycho Manor. Also as we were going through the different rooms [featuring The Bates Motel from Psycho, Saw, and other creepy sets] we were behind one of the guys from our group that we didn't know. I did NOT want to get seperated from the group and get lost in one of the rooms, so i just grabbed onto him and kept together by placing my hand on his back. After we finally got out I introduced myself and thought it was funny that we didn't know each others' names until we were out. His name was Brady and he became Lauren's other arm buddy during the Haunted Forest.

Our group got split into two when we entered the Haunted Forest so Brady protected us during some parts and then for the other half our whole little group of about 8 people formed a chain where we were connected and wouldn't lose each other in the course. So I had Lauren and Brady connected to my left arm and then I was holding the hand of another guy Brent whom I became acquainted with as we were chased around. I held onto his hand the entire time because again I did not want to get seperated or stuck in the front or back of the group. We both got scared a lot and were squeezing and gripping on tight. A nice bonding experience to get to know another new freind Brent. It was over 40 minutes long in the Haunted Forest alone, so we were all freaking out and glad when the end finally came. It was so funny though how the guys got plenty scared themselves and it wasn't just Lauren and I screaming :) Oh boy can those guys scream too!
It was nice to come home and listen to my friend Andrew play Coldplay on the Piano to calm myself down and feel safe in the little piano room with my friends and let the fear subside. Besides getting startled a few times there was no permanent damage from the experience, just good memories :)

Kelsey and I before the fear


This giant monster scared me and terrorized us in line to buy the tickets

Most of our group [Im next to Lauren and Brent and Brady are right behind us]

No comments: