Monday, October 6, 2008

so much fun

There has been a ton going over my first month of college, and I have found myself suddenly in my second month. And as my mom has pointed out- with no updates on here.

here we go:

Classes have been going great- however, there was a fair amount of stress 2 weeks ago when I had my first college paper due and last week when I had midterms in 5 classes. Pretty intense, but I got it done and did pretty well on them overall which is exciting.

Other news: I got a call late one afternoon and woken up from my nap by one of Heather's old mission companions who happens to be my Hall Adviser. She asked me if I would be willing to be the Tri-Hall representative for the RHA [Residence Halls Association]. I was half asleep, but I knew they were desperate for someone so I agreed without really knowing what it meant. It added a little Council Class to my schedule was about all I understood.
So now I am in the on-campus housing student council and it has been way fun. We went on a retreat to Salt Lake City for training Sept 26th and 27th and I met a whole bunch of awesome new friends. While there we played games, did trust exercises, climbed Ensign Peak, and learned about our responsibilities. Good stuff :)

At the base of the trail

The Salt Lake Valley from half-way up

Hanging out up top with Stephen, Austin, and Katy

Playing on the largest twister mat EVER

Conference Weekend: I had SO MUCH fun this weekend, it was amazing. I must say that General Conference weekend was the best weekend of all so far. My friend Andrew had tickets to the Sunday Afternoon session and invited me to go with him, which i excitedly said yes to because I had never been before. He had asked me the Sunday before, but then later in the week when i received the news that my Uncle Mike had passed away I was no longer planning on attending. I hit a rough patch and had some difficulties the next couple of days, but was then unable to fly home as originally planned because the funeral was scheduled for the following Tuesday rather than Saturday. That was hard to accept- that I was staying in Utah because of my classes, but it all worked out in the end.
It ended up that I was able to go with Andrew to Conference after all. So, saturday it rained all day [amazing weather], I enjoyed watching the conference sessions with a few of my roommates, and then Andrew and I drove to Sandy, UT to stay with another friend [and Andrew's roommate] Will at his home. This allowed us to get to Salt Lake easier between sessions and minimize stress. We had a great time with Will and another friend/roommate Aaron watching Groundhog Day and playing in the basement with cameras and giant bean bags. We were up quite late, and then I got to sleep in Will's little brother David's room and the guys slept in Will's brother Peter's room.

one of many action shots. Top to bottom: Aaron, Andrew, Will

me and the guys playing "dress up" around 3 am

In the morning we watched conference with Will's family and enjoyed a large and very delicious breakfast, got ready, and drove to Salt Lake. Conference was amazing!
All of the talks from all weekend were great, but it was such an awesome experience to be in the same room with the Prophet of the Lord and all of the General Authorities. The talks were wonderful, again, and I really feel like I was spiritually strengthened.
After the Conference was adjourned Andrew and I took a little tour around the Conference Center and Temple Square. I had never been to the Salt Lake Temple, so Andrew toured me around showing me so many great and beautiful sights/statues/monuments. I am so grateful for that, it was astounding. Afterwards I drove Andrew to visit his grandparents in West Jordan and then we met up with Will and Aaron again before finally heading home.

The view from our great seats at the Conference Center

Gordon B. Hinckley in the Hall of the Prophets in the Conference Center

Salt Lake Temple

Andrew and I in the Visitor's Center at Temple Square

The day was finished up with our weekly tradition of Tunnel singing with many other students in the tunnel in front of the Marriott Center. Every Sunday night a large group of students cram into the tunnel and sing hymns for an hour. It is a favorite event of my roommates and I, and a great way to start the week.

I know this post was really long, but there was just so much- Although I am saddened by the death of my Uncle Mike I am grateful for my family and friends who have comforted me, for the knowledge that I have of the Gospel that helps me know that I will see my Uncle again, for my good friends who have helped me see the joy in life, and for the wonderful opportunity that I had to listen to the counsel of the Prophet and Apostles and General Authorities.

1 comment:

Hizzeather said...

Yeah! So good to hear from you!

Keep us posted!