Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Today was really fun for me to look back on the past year and some memories of Valentine's day last year - some not so pleasant, and others absolutely amazing.

Last year: Karina and I were caught up in drama and ridiculousness, which I am still so very sorry about. It is amazing the amount you can grow up in a year, because I feel so much more mature now. The week leading up to Valentine's day Karina and I didn't really talk to each other. It was so awkward and tense, and looking back, absolutely ridiculous. Oh man... crazy times. Anywho - we were having some difficulties, which I now call the dark ages.

Then on Friday night, the night before Valentine's day I got a text from Scott asking if I knew anything fun going on that night. He and a few of his roommates ended up coming over to my apartment to watch a movie with us and that was the first time we really hung out. The next day we talked a bit and then about an hour and a half [maybe] before the big Invitational Dance started Scott and his roommate came over and asked me and my roommate Madeline to go with them. We happily agreed and at this point Karina and I were starting to thaw out.

Madeline and I were not sure which guy was asking which girl, but we were excited to go with them nonetheless. We finally figured out who was whose date when we got to the coat check of the dance and Scott offered to hold my ticket for me :) The dance was so much fun! We had a great time together, we even accidentally matched perfectly. Good times! :D

Scott and I on the dance floor

That night was amazing, but I had no idea how much this guy was going to change my life!

This year: Karina and I are best friends, without a repeat of anything near the dark ages :) In fact, she is even out of the state visiting California with her family and we have talked more so than last year, haha. This Valentine's day Scott is serving a mission in Texas and my day was pretty normal- I went to church, enjoyed the talks and the lessons, and tonight attended a fireside. The speaker was Brother Jack Christiansen and I really enjoyed his talk! He was really funny but he also had such a spiritual message that was not much of what he had prepared beforehand, but it was what we needed to hear.

One thing that he shared that really struck me was counsel that Pres. Eyring had given him. He was asked what was his plan for the future and after he responded Pres. Eyring said this: "The right answer is you don't know - you don't know what the Lord has in store for you." This is so true, especially looking back on last year, I had no idea what was ahead of me. And now I'm sure that I don't know what is ahead of me still. I love this quote I heard somewhere before, "If you want to make God laugh, plan your future." We do not know what we are in store for, we can just do our best and keep moving forward, and that is what I am doing :)

Happy Valentine's day!

This is my delicious cookie I got at the Fireside tonight :)

5 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Hmmm...not as mushy as I thought it was going to be...phew! :)

You still have that funland bracelet on? GROSS! You know you're going to have to take it off for the wedding, right?

Wade said...

Hmmm...Heather commenting about mushy!. Cody this, Cody that! You would think they have barely been married a year. LOL
See you very soon.

Morris Moments said...

3 more days until you are HOME SWEET HOME!! Can't wait to see you! Sorry I was asleep when you "called" the other night - such is the life of someone who gets up at 4:30 a.m. every morning, I guess. :o(

Naomi and Family said...

Holly, that was awesome! You are such an awesome woman! Life does throw us some fun stuff and not so fun stuff and it's good to know that Heavenly Father is not only with us during those times, but knows they are coming. I love the quote you put up! ;) Can't wait to see you sista!!

Unknown said...

So jealous, Jack was my stake president all growing up. I love that man.